Of all the dark entities, spirits, demons, gods, goddesses,
and the like- the two dark ones that stick out in my mind the most will always
be Nyx (Nicks) (Air-Ra-Bus/Bis) and Erebus. Nyx, as some of you might know, is
a Protogenoi. This means that she is one of the first born elemental gods to
come into existence.
Born of Chaos (the first of them all), Nyx is the elemental
goddess of night. More than simply the goddess of the night- she is the very
essence of night, the origin of night- the heartbeat, the pulse, the body, the
soul of everything Night. She is Night itself and she is powerful. So powerful,
in fact, that even the great king of the gods, Zeus, is said to fear her wrath
or cross her in any way.
Nyx’s primary partner in life is Erebus. Erebus is also a
Protogenoi and is known to be the elemental god of darkness. Together they have
brought many fearful gods and goddesses into the world-some of which were also
Protogenoi, along with spirits and demons- known as Daimones.
Some of their
offspring is said to include Eris, Nemesis, Hypos, Thananos, Styx, The Moirai,
Dolos, Aither, Eros, and even is rumored to have birthed Hekate.
They are two of the elements that never cease to inspire my
soul. All it takes is to look up at the night sky to be entraced by the beauty
that is known as Nyx, along with her concort- Erebus. A lovely pair, indeed,
and I’ll never tire of either. Both inspire me and live within me. The night is
a part of who I am and the darkness is something I embrace in and outside of
myself. They influence my art, my poetry, my life.
My black cat (a female) is named Nyx, and when I consider them both to be my patron god and goddess- though I only see them as symbolic and never actually pray to them, have rituals, etc… but I respect their element- what they represent. So may the night and the darkness be with you. May Nyx and Erebus be with you- regardless of what you call them.
The following is a great video I just found on youtube that pretty much recaps what I've said, plus more!
My black cat (a female) is named Nyx, and when I consider them both to be my patron god and goddess- though I only see them as symbolic and never actually pray to them, have rituals, etc… but I respect their element- what they represent. So may the night and the darkness be with you. May Nyx and Erebus be with you- regardless of what you call them.
The following is a great video I just found on youtube that pretty much recaps what I've said, plus more!
Nyx
I am the immortal
voice of Night
I hold all mortals
within My sight
The Moon and Stars
both beckon to Me
I am the Goddess,
Nyx, you see.
Yes I am Nyx,
Immortal Queen
My Vengeance is
swift, my perception is keen
Born from Chaos,
Elemental Mother of Moirai
I set the foundation on which creation does lay
Hypnos and Thánatos
are children of Mine
I rule over all
that are of My line
I belong to none
for I am one with the Night
Nothing can control
Me, nothing has that right.
Creatures of
Darkness are in My care
I alone control how
they fare
I am Nyx, listen well what I say
Abide in Me not,
and ye shall pay
My memory is long,
and I seldom forgive
Cross Me just once
and ye shall wish not to live
Night Creatures and
Dark Ones I protect
If ever My Demons
show them neglect
I cast them out for
Hemera to find
Forcing them to
leave all darkness behind
Disrespect is not
tolerated at all
Show it any and
from My Grace ye shall fall
My family shall do
as they are told
They shall give
Honor to their Old.
For I am Fierce,
Proud, and Strong
Not
with Me can there be found one wrong
To run a kingdom
you must be Wise
No one, god or
mortal, can reach My size
I am Ancient,
Everlasting, Devine
My beauty is not
one any can outshine.
And I am not all
bad I assure thee now
I am easy to
pleasure once ye know how
Give the Nocturnal
the respect We are due
Kill not the Innocent, and hurt very few
Live by the code of
moral decree
Harm ye none and
live full and free
Submit to me and My
arms shall be thy keep
Incubus and
Succubus shall watch over thy sleep
For a mortal once
agreed to My law.
And in this human I
found not one flaw
So I blessed him, made him Vampye
The Night is now a
part of him, like flame is to fire
My Vampyes are very
dear heart,
The path I created
they will never depart
Even some other
mortals now walk in My way
My beautiful Goths
turned away from the day
For I grant My cold
kiss of black beauty
To all those who to
Me do their duty
Only those who
cherish Me will know its touch
Once given, I warn
thee, do not abandon My crutch!
And if ever any of
these rule ye break
I will set Dolos
upon you and your peace I shall take
I shall be thy
worst Fear come to life
When I also
call Eris, My child of Strife
Oizys shall be brutal, Deimos shall give Me Delight
Ye will roe the
moment ye turned away from the Night
Making a foe of Me
is a folly
I hold the power to
cause thy heart Melancholy
So turn not thy
back when Shadow prevails
My Dark Children
will care not for thy wails
Staying safe in
Aither shall not protect thee for long
I, Nyx, will come
for ye And repay thee for thy wrong
So with this
knowledge ye have a choice
Ye, too, can become
a part of My voice
For I am Nyx, The
Goddess of the Night
And I hold all
mortals within My sight
Written By
Midi
May / 2009


Maybe the story of The Furies is related to Nix, as well as Erebus. They all seem to be linked in some way or other.
ReplyDeleteYes, when I was researching all of the dark entities that interested me, I was surprised by how linked most were in some way or another. I really should have added Thananos to this list- oh well. Maybe I can fit him in somewhere, probably the Samhain post! -Midi
ReplyDeleteI hadn't heard of Nyx until this entry, but hey, I like her already. I enjoyed the poem as well. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteErebus and nyx are thee dark god.and godess I should know!
ReplyDelete