I have long believed that everything in life is relative, that is to say that what is true and acceptable for me, may not be so for someone else. I feel that this relativism ‘law’ applies to all things, however absurd a view that may be. I am entitled to that view; just as someone else is entitled to refute it. After all, what is an opinion if not blind faith in one’s own intelligence, however right or wrong?
When speaking of polar opposites, such
as right and wrong, one may- or even should-ask if such extremes should even
exist. After all, if everything is
relative, and nothing is wholly one way or the other, then surely there can be
no extremes. Everything is a grey area. In my mind, not even a purely
altruistic person exists, nor do I believe no one person ever alive – now, in
the past, or in the future, could ever be fully immoral in every regard. Every
‘evil’ person has good moments, pure moments, and every ‘saint’ has a tendency
to want to ‘sin’. In my mind, this is human nature. We cannot be only one way
all the time- the human race is too dynamic to stay so unfailingly constant in
personality.
If this be the case- where does
morality fit in, why should we be moral creatures, and what exactly does
morality mean? Questions like this could puzzle a person if one thinks on it
long enough, because, as stated above- these answers vary from person to
person…or does it- does it really?
I am not sure how many of you, my dear
readers, are familiar with Emile Durkheim or his work. I am utterly enthralled
by him. Emile Durkheim was a sociologist (the father of sociology, actually),
and a profoundly intelligent man. He wrote on topics such as suicide, religion,
crime, and morality.
Durkheim believed that people consist of two
warring halves. The individual self and the social self. We must give some of
our individuality to progress, attend to, and be a part of, the societies we
create.
According to Durkheim
“The painful
character of the dualism of human nature is explained by this hypothesis. There
is no doubt that if society were only the natural and spontaneous development
of the individual, these two parts of ourselves would harmonize….In fact,
however, society has its own nature….Therefore, society cannot be formed or
maintained without our being required to make perpetual and costly sacrifices.
Because society surpasses us, it obliges us to surpass ourselves, and to
surpass itself, a being must, to some degree, depart from its nature—a
departure that does not take place without causing more or less painful
tensions…” (Elementary Forms [1914] 1973, p. 163).
In this way, we think, on a basic
level, as a whole, or what he calls the collective consciousness. It is not so
unlike the Borg from the Star Trek series when you stop to think about it, or a
worldwide computer. We are individuals functioning and existing together,
creating our moral codes on a whole, cultural scale that can, for the most
part, appease everyone and brings us all together for a common goal- social
harmony and the idea of justice, regardless of individual opinion. The societal dictates outweigh the dictates of one and to appease the society we must abide by the moral laws therein.
Through this process of conforming, while at
the same time constructing social morality, one must realize that though
morality in and of itself is subjective on an individual level- on a cultural
level, basic morality holds true for most people and therefore people within a
given society are prone to the same moral ideas, for better or worse. So what
exactly is morality? I like to think of morality in the same context that
Durkheim defines crime:
“An act is criminal when it offends
strong and defined states of the collective consciousness. In other words, we
must not say that an action shocks the common consciousness because it is
criminal, but rather that it is criminal because it shocks the common
consciousness. We do not reprove it because it is a crime, but it is a crime
because we reprove it” (Durkheim, [1893] 1933: 80-81).
If you replace ‘(a) crime’ with immoral, then you have my definition of what exactly morality means to me. When something
offends, it therefore has the potential status of ‘immoral’ behavior.
Now, in one’s life (be it only once or many times over) a person will come into contact with a person or people who takes delight in being offensive in such an intellectual manner as to seem logical, while at the same time proving his or herself to be utterly devoid of all common dignity, decency and morality. Is the person(s) who behave in such a manner sociopathic, trolling the internet; cyber-bullying or bullies other people in general? Should we even care?
Now, in one’s life (be it only once or many times over) a person will come into contact with a person or people who takes delight in being offensive in such an intellectual manner as to seem logical, while at the same time proving his or herself to be utterly devoid of all common dignity, decency and morality. Is the person(s) who behave in such a manner sociopathic, trolling the internet; cyber-bullying or bullies other people in general? Should we even care?
We shouldn't care about the cruel ideas of others, but the sad fact is most people do. The likely answer is that we care
because it shocks. People flock to negativity and disgraceful gossip and
opinions just as the Romans flocked to the coliseum to watch people and animals
be tortured and killed, and why even today when some trauma happens be it
physical or emotional, people are apt to witness, rather than act and make the
situation better. It’s the shock, the understanding that it is exciting in its
misery and it gives us a glimpse of the bloodthirsty part of us that we tamed
long ago, but still has a tendency to rear its ugly head when the smell of
blood is fresh and near.
However ‘intoxicating’ such behavior
might be (either for perverse pleasure, pride, offense, or what-have-you,) the
behavior displayed by the creator(s) of the vulgarity is committing social
immorality. Why do I make such an extreme suggestion that the person(s) who
seek out others to hurt for spite are socially immoral- because it is a
cultural recognition, both in America and abroad, that bullying is wrong, can
be considered a crime, and for many- is considered an immoral act against other
individuals.
Such vocal vulgarity against others is
tolerated because of free speech, which I defend, even when I feel it best a
person not speak at all for the sake of both self-respect and the pain the person(s) inflicts knowingly on others (such as
Westboro Baptist Church and Terry Jones from Gainesville Florida). But, with
that said, exactly how far can one take free speech? When does free speech turn
into hate speech and when does hate speech become a crime? Now, in England,
there are laws in place for hate speech, but the defining of these laws are
lines I do not know personally. I also know that there are laws, again both in
America and abroad, in regards to bullying. I also know that Florida- the state
I live in- is one the states that have laws against cyber-bullying. I also
believe that the modern day laws need to catch up to modern day problems. The
bullying can go across countries, the hate speech can be vile, and the laws are
not enough for the socially immoral person(s).
Please note that I said socially
immoral (and even social morality is subject to change with each generation, taking for instance slavery, racial intolerance and the present day civil debate on marriage equality). I do not believe that any person can be utterly despicable in every regard, because, though I believe that people
such as this takes pleasure in being a menace to other people (either online,
in person, or both) I also do not believe the person(s) responsible to be
wholly immoral, evil, or what-have-you. Again, as said in the beginning, I do
not believe such singularity exists in the human nature. We all have moments of goodness, just as well all have moments of maliciousness.
But the doings of people who seem to do everything possible to make the lives of other people utterly miserable, begs the question: why do people prey on
others, especially over the internet where such attempts seems so cowardly and
contemptuous since the person(s) can hide behind their screen and never have to
face in person the ones that they slander?
According to Durkheim:
“The totality of
moral regulations really forms about each person an imaginary wall, at the foot
of which a multitude of human passions simply die without being able to go
further. For the same reason—that they are contained—it becomes possible to
satisfy them. But if at any point this barrier weakens, human forces—until now
restrained—pour tumultuously through the open breach; once loosed, they find no
limits where they can or must stop. Unfortunately, they can only devote
themselves to the pursuit of an end that always eludes them” (Moral Education,
p. 42).
“The notion of the infinite, then,
appears only at those times when moral discipline has lost its ascendancy over
man’s will. It is the sign of attrition that emerges during periods when the
moral system, prevailing for several centuries, is shaken, failing to respond
to new conditions of human life, and without any new system yet contrived to
replace that which has disappeared” (Moral Education: [1925] 1961, p. 43).
“Whenever moral rules lack the necessary
authority to exert, to a desirable degree, a regulatory influence on their
behavior, we see society gripped by a dejection and pessimism reflected in the
curve of suicides (Moral Education: [1925] 1961, p. 68)
“During periods when society is disorganized
and, as a result of its decadence has less power to exact the commitment of
individual wills, and when, consequently, egoism has freer reign—these are
calamitous times. The cult of the self and the notion of the infinite go
together” (Moral Education, p. 72).
Perhaps the ego or morality
compass has gone astray in people such as this. Maybe the person(s) have a lack
of compassion and empathy. Maybe the person(s) needs an ego check and needs barriers desperately. Maybe the person(s) are simply cowardly if
hiding behind a computer screen to fill whatever voids, physical constraints,
or emotional deprivations that he or she is enduring or has endured.
Bullying brings the person(s) empowerment, just as a raping gives the rapist the euphoria of control. So long as the person is given credence, is gaining attention, and getting his or her high through such means of intellectual degradation, it will never cease and the person(s), like the gladiators of old, will have the moment of glory, however vicious. But never forget, for all who are victimized by those who cause harm that even a gladiator can fall given the proper methods of extinction (such as ignoring, kindness, understanding, getting law enforcement involved, etc…).
Bullying brings the person(s) empowerment, just as a raping gives the rapist the euphoria of control. So long as the person is given credence, is gaining attention, and getting his or her high through such means of intellectual degradation, it will never cease and the person(s), like the gladiators of old, will have the moment of glory, however vicious. But never forget, for all who are victimized by those who cause harm that even a gladiator can fall given the proper methods of extinction (such as ignoring, kindness, understanding, getting law enforcement involved, etc…).
So, even though morality is relative,
we are still humans and share common ideas in the barest, most basic of
ideologies. Therefore, things such as respect, manners, and proper etiquette
will always be something I value, not only in myself, but in others. Those who
have little to no social or public morality are not worth my concern. Morality, though relative, is needed for
civil human discourse and daily ‘public’ functioning within a culture. We all
have our predispositions to do harm, but we also have predispositions to rise
above it. It is called cognitive ability and the evolutionary trait of being
able to think critically, subjectively, and socially. It is such a pity when
the person(s) behind the neurons and synapses uses the connections within the
brain to hinder rather than encourage in productive ways.
If you have been victimized by those who would do you harm, never let them rule your life- your decisions. Get help. Learn your laws. Please, do not ever let anyone break your spirit.
I leave you now with a song by Wendy Rule. Enjoy.

"After all, what is an opinion if not blind faith in one’s own intelligence, however right or wrong?"
ReplyDeleteWhat a profound statement! I never looked at it that way before.
It does seem that a lot of the present-day conflict over morality stems from the evolving moral codes of one mindset as it offends the sensibilities of those who are more traditional in nature. It's the belief in relativism versus adherence to absolutism.
As for bullying, I've long believed that it's an act committed by those who are insecure. The ability to intimidate, embarrass or otherwise hurt others helps the perpetrator to feel better about him/herself. A person who's comfortable with who he or she is has no need bully anyone.
This was a very interesting and deep post.
I am glad you approve, and if it makes sense to anyone other than myself, all the better!
ReplyDeleteI firmly, firmly believe in relativism. I also believe that just because everything is relative does not mean there are no social codes of conduct. You may not like it, but if you live in a society, as Durkheim stated, you must give up some of yourself to make for the sake of society, whether we agree or not. This is the basics of what I was saying with my post.
I agree fully about the bullying. It's such a shame, and such a waste.
Thank you, Nightwind, for the compliment!
-Midi
"I firmly believe in relativism. I also believe that just because everything is relative does not mean there are no social codes of conduct."
ReplyDeleteSo, how do we know when we're breaking social codes of conduct? There are lots of people out there who believe that just being Goth violates important social codes? Who decides which point of view is the correct one for society?
Good question.
ReplyDeleteI believe that the whole of society (aka: the collective consciousness) decides it. As Durkheim stated, you must give up some of ourselves for the sake of society, regardless of if we agree. We do it often without thinking (getting a job, for instance). Even subcultures and counter-cultures adhere to this (which in in turn have their own codes).
For someone outside of Goth- then the subculture can be considered outside of correct behavior and therefore Goths are immoral. Same as Punk, Emo, Metalheads, etc...
I would like to think that attire, musical preferences and things which do not directly effect other people (i.e. sexual orientation) would not be subject to a collective code of conduct or morality. In a perfect world it wouldn't be.
We are not in a perfect world however. We live in a time were sub and counter cultures are condemned, those who are of alternative religious practices are 'evil' and sexual orientation is immoral if not part of the majority. It is not fair, but it is a sad truth. To some people: You, I, and many in our acquaintance are unacceptable.
In my view, these judgement should not be made by appearance or orientation, but by the manner one holds toward others and to him or herself. Manners, respect, being polite, etc...should be the factors which dictate social morality, not attire, music, or orientation.
However, I am of a minority. This minority is growing larger with each generation. Morality is changing, and I see this as a good thing. Sadly so is etiquette and general common courtesy, which I despair over as it is constantly and consistently lost in translation (For example "I apologize for my improper behavior towards your person" becoming "Oh, opps. My bad, dude").
Yet even through the tempests of change, there are some universals which I hope will always remain in place: one of which being that hate speech is considered deplorable.
Right now, the society as a whole dictates morality and proper conduct. We can agree or not. We can rebel against it (in healthy, non-violent ways) or conform. Hell, to some, I'm sure even Gandhi was immoral.
You don't have to dress like everyone else to exhibit behaviors that are conductive and beneficial. Behavior- not appearance and orientation- should dictate morality.
Maybe one day it will be that way. For many people- it already is. On a whole, however, it is not. For some- I am no better, if not worse, than a person who spews hate, simply because of my taste of music or physical appearance. My own personal bar of acceptability is higher than that and not based on things as mundane of personal art or sexuality.
I adhere to laws (well, it depends...is sodomy still a law?). I try to never harm anyone. If I am seen as immoral despite this- I can live with that, and live with it gladly. It is just a matter of how many others can do the same until times change. Even today, society will condemn behavior legally before it condemns individual preferences (and slowly, almost at crawl America is learning that being LGBT is not a preference).
I, personally, will not break a social code of conduct if it is beneficial for all of humanity (no murdering for me!), but I will also not turn my back on myself to make others happy if what I do is not hindering the society in which I live.
I hope this makes sense.
-Midi
Yes, it makes sense to me; but then again, we're basically on the same page. I believe that our society is coming apart at the seams because of the conflict between absolutism and relativism. The up coming November elections will be crucial. If certain people win big time I'm afraid that we're going to find out what it's like to live in under absolutist and religious government. It's not going to be pretty.
ReplyDelete"Sadly so is etiquette and general common courtesy, which I despair over as it is constantly and consistently lost in translation..."
You're so right. And don't even get me started over the slaughter of the English language!
I agree utterly. I think there should be a balance and sort of understanding between the two conflicting sides (absolutism and relativism) because, quite frankly they need each other.
ReplyDeleteAs for the English language- yes, I had better not get started on that subject either!
-Midi