In life there are many paths one can take, many destinations one will discover, and none of them are wrong. My path was put before me long ago. I could follow the crowd and do as others before me have done. I could follow the flock and be an imitation of all that was expected of me.
Or I would choose another option. That of my heart, my flesh, my soul, which cried out for the night, for the darkness. That which is sorrowfully told in melancholy music and touches my imagination as nothing else can. The path was dark, scary, solitary. It was Gothic and macabre- but oh so me.
The other path was not me, though I had traveled it for some time for fear of following the path I longed for. My life was a series of docilely obeying the road being built before my feet, always afraid to look over to the road that called my name, that dared me to build my own future, my own destination. I stayed on the path of emptiness for quite sometime, longer than what was bearable to my heart.
But that pain, that knowledge was needed, for only then could I diverge to be who I truly am: A dark creature who take joy in what others can hardly fathom. I embrace who I am, I love who I am. I have defined myself, my life, and my inner peace is that which is obtained only when one reaches enlightenment. Yes, I am in enlightened in the fact that I know myself and am not afraid to look into my darkness and the abyss before me and see beauty in it.
How do you choose the way, you may ask. You do not. It chooses you, and calls to you until you answer the call. You are only half complete until you can find the path that frees you and once you have found it- you will know. It is not to say that other roads are wrong, but like people each one is unique to the person, and we must be willing to search for it. And if the road does not appear right away you can either wait for it, or start building it yourself. For what is life other than a series of events we create or conform to?
So what path do you dare to take- the one meant for you- or one created for you by others?
The
Road Not Taken
Two
roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost
For the musical Version of this poem, please click the above video! It will amaze you!
For the musical Version of this poem, please click the above video! It will amaze you!
Poem by: Robert Frost
Music by: Lyriel
I own no copyright to either.
Wow! I'm almost speechless!
ReplyDeleteFirst, I devoured your well written post. It was an honest accounting of your life and was suggestive of the pain you silently endured until you chose to take your own path by walking in the darkness and just being yourself.
Next, I read the very pertinent "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost--a literary piece I'd not heard of before that nevertheless, morally supports the important decision you made in your own life.
Finally, I began to listen to the music and quickly realized that Lyriel had created a musical version of Frost's "The Road Not Taken." I was taken totally by surprise however, when the song suddenly shifted gears by jumping into a metal conclusion, as if driving your whole post home with force and power.
You've managed to create a powerful and emotionally moving statement here. Well done!
I am speechless by your response. I knew that you, above anyone, would love how the song ended. I had no idea you have never read this poem before, and I am glad I could present it for your pleasure, as well as an accompanying song which has a majority of music you might find appealing.
ReplyDeleteYou looked very deeply into this post and hit the truth utterly. My past before i found myself makes me cringe, but until I found the strength to leave it forever- it was me. I often tell people from my past that I am not that person anymore and rarely do they believe me until they talk with me and know it to be true.
I am glad the message was powerful. It makes me feel better about not posting on Saturday as I had meant to. Thank you for your comment, Nightwind. It means a lot to me.
-Midi